Brightcove Player System Requirements
|Internet Explorer (Win)||11||As of June 15th, 2021, Brightcove will no longer actively support Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) on any version of Windows. Related bug reports and enhancement requests will not be accepted after this date. While we will not intentionally remove IE11 support in any version of Brightcove Player 6.x, we will not be actively testing against it either. Customers requiring support for IE11 may wish to lock their player to the last version released before June 15th to ensure continued functionality. That version is 6.56.0. Note that locked players no longer receive new enhancements or bug fixes. Edge is the recommended Microsoft browser and is fully supported by the Brightcove team.|
|Microsoft Edge (Win & Mac)||Current and two previous major versions|
|Chrome Desktop (Win, Mac)||Current and two previous major versions|
|Chrome Mobile (Android)||Current and two previous major versions||Google no longer supports Android 4.x and older with the Chrome browser.|
|Chrome Mobile (iOS)||Current and two previous major versions||Please consult Brightcove's IMA or other 3rd-party docs for plugin compatibility.|
|Safari Desktop (Mac)||Current and two previous major versions|
|Safari Mobile (iOS)||Current and two previous major versions|
|Firefox Desktop (Win, Mac)||Current and two previous major versions|
- The Windows 10N/10KN editions come without Windows Media Player and related technologies pre-installed. To play video, you can install Microsoft's Media feature pack.
- Only real machines are supported. While we expect that the player will generally work on virtual machines and Hosted Virtual Desktop (HVD), we do not test on these and do not support them.
- The “Stock” browser found on earlier versions of Android (often with an icon named “Internet”) has a number of unworkable issues with video playback and is not recommended.
- Brightcove Player is known to fail when Prototype.js v1.6 is present and may work where v1.7 is present. Brightcove Player does not support any usage in a shared environment with any version of Prototype.js.
- IE11 on Windows < 8.1 uses Flash for HLS (will fall back to MP4 if Flash disabled) and Silverlight for DASH. Flash and Silverlight are no longer supported by Microsoft and may not be available.
- IE11 Enterprise and Compatibility modes are not supported. In addition, in Compatibility Mode IE11 will show Domain Restriction errors when viewing domain-restricted content.